Thursday, May 3, 2012

Ohhhh Florence

I've decided I could live in Florence. There are no words to describe how beautiful Florence is.

I've spent three days here but am leaving this morning headed to Venice.

Our first night here in Florence was absolutely insane. They have a holiday that is similar to our Independence Day. There were so many people out and live bands everywhere until 6 am. We went to a group dinner and then hit the streets to experience the crazy party. I went to a bar called Slowly with Yannick and we walked around all night and even stopped to watch a band for a bit. They were playing a great mix of American and Italian music. At about 2:30 we decided that we should get a sandwich. I'm not sure what it was exactly but it had truffle oil on it. So delicious. we just sat in an alley way and shared.

The next morning we had to be up pretty early. There was a little Coffee bar right across from our hotel that I have had Cafe Americano and a pastry in every morning.

The streets are very narrow here and everyone just walks in the middle of the street until a car comes. There are bikers and scooters all over.

I've walked across the Ponte Vecchio and visited Boboli Gardens. Last night a few of us decided to skip the group dinner and go to the look out point that has amazing views of the city. We took wine and a few snacks to sit and watch the sun set over the city. It was breathtaking. You just don't see stuff like this in America.

We went to a restaurant called Il Latini two nights ago. It was a family style place where you pay one price with so many courses and all the Chianti you can drink. We were all so stuffed and had so much wine. I had to be rolled out of the place. I've kind of rounded up about 6 of us and we run around together instead of the tour group. I just had so many tips on where to go in Florence so we have had a great time.

I walked around alone for about 4 hours yesterday to explore Florence. I've bought a really nice new leather bag and some super cute loafers. They are definitely my new favorite shoes and so European.

After The sunset last night we went to Moyo for appertivos and drinks. It was hip hop night there and there was a soccer game on. I ended up leaving to go meet the rest of our group at Slowly but it ended up being closed so Yannick called me to tell me to go back to the area where Moyo was. I turned around and started heading back when all the sudden a very, very good looking Italian man stops me and starts asking me something in Italian. I told him I speak English and then all the sudden he was speaking perfect English. He was with two other men and a woman.

He proceeds to ask me if I know of any good bars to go have drinks in that aren't closed so I say to him "as a matter of fact I do and I'm headed back there now if you all would like to join" So they did. We walked for about 10 minutes and I find out he is actually from Florence. I thought it was funny because I'm from Dallas and showing him where to go in Florence. REALLY?!?! Anyway, we get to the bar and I join them instead of my group. I learn that he owns a wine bar right at the base of the Duomo (which I know is a fact because he took me there later). His name was Alessandro and is 37 yrs old. He actually lived in NYC for about 5 years at one time.

He and his friends decided we should go back to his friends place, Marco, so we left and started walking. We stopped by his wine bar to get a bottle of wine. It was very late so everything was closed. He unlocked the door cover, raised it and oh my this place was beautiful. The house we went to was Marco's and he has an amazing town home with a roof top terrace overlooking the Duomo. I was so stunned at how amazing this place was and all of this happened by chance....just walking by these people and there I was in their home like I've known them forever. Everyone is just so welcoming here.

After a glass of wine, I decided to head back to my hotel. Alessandro was so nice to walk me back safely. We exchanged phone numbers. He wants me to come back after Venice but I'm supposed to be going to Monterosso. We shall see. I am very, very tempted to go back to Florence and spend a few more days there with him.

I'm on the bus now. We are headed to Pisa then Verona to see Juliet's home and then off to Venice. It's going to be a long day so I'm going to try and nap now on the bus.

Oh, I also tried to upload some videos yesterday but it's not working so it will have to wait until I get home.

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment